Beyond the Fethiye fortress going south, if you follow the road climbing up to the slope some 7 km. you can come to a magnificent lowland where Anatolian Greeks had lived until 1922. Greeks called the town Levissi in the past. Kaya Koyu in the year 1922 during the exchange of Turks in Thrace with Anatolian Greeks was evacuated and the new residents did not take up the existing houses. Kaya become a “Ghost Town” as an abandoned town after 1923.

Kayakoy has 2 churches, chapels, numerous houses, schools, library, hospital, work—shops and the other structures will be renovated soon according to a project which is made by The Association of Turkish Travel Agencies and The Chamber Of Turkish Architects. After the renovation, Kaya Koyu will serve as the place of “ Piece & Friendship Village” and be protected forever.

From Hisaronu, following the road leading to the west among the forests of pine trees, we reach Kayakoyu, about 3 kms. from Hisaronu. There is also a direct shortcut in the south of Fethiye.

In the years of 1900, Kayakoyu was an important settlement center with a population of 20.000. It was vacated in line with an exchange agreement signed between Turkey and Greece in 1924. Today Kayakoy looks like a “Ghost Town” where two churches and a school are in the process of restoration with the aim of establishing a village of peace in the region. On the slopes, there are stone houses built in typical Mediterranean style, not overshadowing one another, schools, churches, chapels, workshops and other buildings, as well as intercrossing narrow streets, all of which ore reminiscent of an architectural laboratory. Kayakoyu is under protection as a prominent sample of the Anatolian cultural mosaic and will become a village of friendship, peace, science and arts in the near future, when the restoration and planning efforts are completed.

A few kilometers from Fethiye, climbing past the ancient fortress and rock tomb of King Amyntas, the pine trees give way to the bucolic landscape of the Kaya Village. Here a dwindling number of local families still own the land and tend their animals. Some of the old Greek stone houses have been carefully restored to provide atmospheric and peaceful holiday homes. Visitors can walk, cycle or even horse-ride around the pathways and lanes of the valley pausing at the simple teahouses, restaurants and general stores or continuing the few kilometers down to the Gemiler Beach. Perhaps everyones most vivid memory of Kaya Valley is the haunting choreography of the houses, shops and churches of the once thriving Greek town of Levissii.